Learn About Carpooling
Carpooling is a great way to get to and from work. It saves money by reducing your gasoline, car maintenance and parking costs. Based on 2015 estimates of driving costs, a 40-mile round-trip commute costs approximately $35 each day, not including tolls or parking. Carpooling can also lower drive time. Carpoolers utilizing the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes typically cut travel time by a third. And we all know that Carpooling helps keep the air we breathe cleaner, lowers greenhouse gas emissions and reduces both traffic and parking congestion.
A carpool consists of two or more people sharing a ride together in a common vehicle. Rather than commuting in their individual cars, co-workers or students from the same community share the ride and drive in together.
Faculty, Staff and Graduate Students
Faculty and staff with a minimum 50% appointment or full-time graduate students are eligible to participate in the Carpool program. Applicants must travel together a minimum of three days a week for more than 50% of their total commute to campus.
You must enroll in the Alternative Transportation Program to receive incentives. Eligibility of incentives is subject to verification using University electronic records.
- One parking permit is issued to a carpool. A carpool can consist of any combination of eligible participants (faculty/staff/graduate students).
- All Carpool participants are responsible for a portion of the parking permit cost. The monthly parking permit fee is processed through payroll deduction or a student business services account.
- Parking lot assignments are based on space availability. Wait lists are maintained for high demand locations.
- Carpool parking permits are discounted at 1/2 the cost of the Blue or Red parking permit rate.
Find a carpool buddy!
UC Riverside has partnered with Zimride and Waze Carpool. Choose to drive or ride, and match with people based on route and time of day.
Zimride can help you share the seats in your car or catch a ride into work. Visit UC Riverside's network on Zimride.
Waze Carpool can also help you find someone to share the ride with to campus. Download the Waze Carpool app (iOS/Android) and be sure to add your campus email address to your profile so that you are matched with others in the UCR community.
Faculty, Staff and Graduate Students
Complimentary Parking Privileges
Registered Carpools are eligible to receive a complimentary parking allotment for days they cannot commute together. The primary carpool permit holder does not receive complimentary parking. Secondary members receive a prorated permit allotment, based on 2 permits per month. Actual allotments provided are dependent on enrollment dates and are issued on a quarterly basis. Parking allotments are easily accessible through the A/T Daily Web Permit application. The complimentary parking permit will be assigned to the carpool participants carpool lot.
In lieu of receiving complimentary daily permits, a participant may choose a Night parking permit as their complimentary parking incentive. Night permits are only valid after 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday and all day on weekends.
- A valid California drivers license is required and must be presented when picking up an ERH vehicle at Fleet Services.
- Carpool and Vanpool members utilizing the ERH program services are responsible for pick-up and return of the rented vehicle to Fleet Services.
- Vehicles must be returned to Fleet Services by 8:00 AM the following morning to ensure no additional rental charges are incurred.
- The ERH program only pays for one overnight rental. Additional charges are the sole responsibility of the Vanpool or Carpool member requesting the ERH.
- ERH is limited to one occurrence per calendar quarter.
- Transportation Services and its Alternative Transportation Program management makes the final determination if a request for an Emergency Ride Home is valid and approving a request.
To arrange for an Emergency Ride Home:
- Call Transportation Services prior to 4:00 PM.
- Authorization can be obtained through the Help Desk at 951-827-1911.