For more information regarding Transportation and Parking Services/Fleet Services COVID-19 Operational Information, please refer to our COVID-19 operational web page.



Outside vendors who routinely park on campus to perform services or to deliver/pick-up materials may purchase a Vendor Permit at the Parking Services office. The Vendor Permit is not generally made available to UC employees or students.

Vendor permits may be purchased using cash, check, Visa, Mastercard or Discover.

Where Can I Park?

Vendor permits are valid in Service Vehicle spaces for up to 2 hours. 

Vendor permits are also valid in all non-reserved Red, Blue, Gold, Residence Hall, Campus Apartment and Oban Family Housing spaces.

Vendor permits are NOT valid in pay-by-space, disabled, medical or any specially marked stall.



How Can I Access The Inner Campus?

You are required to have authorization from Transportation Services to travel by vehicle inside Inner Campus.  The kiosks provide one time Inner Campus access for your convenience. If you require Inner Campus access for several days, please visit or contact the Parking Services Office.  Parking Services is located on campus at 683 Linden Street.  The phone number is 951-827-1294 .

  • Inner Campus access is restricted between 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
  • We advise that you arrive as early as 7:00 AM as there is a high demand for Inner Campus access on weekday mornings.
  • A valid UCR Parking Permit is required.  If you do not have a permit, you will be required to purchase one.
  • Inner Campus Access is generally limited to 15 minutes.  You can request a longer time allotment based on your purpose. The time limit is ultimately up to the discretion of the parking officer on duty.