In accordance with California Vehicle Codes (CVC) 40215 and 40230, you have the following rights when contesting a citation. If you receive a citation that you believe is not legitimate or justified, you have the option to contest the citation within 21 calendar days from the date the citation was issued.
Level 1 - Administrative Review
There are three ways to file a level 1 administrative review:
- Online If you are an off-campus appellant, you will need to create a guest account.
- By Mail: Citations may be contested in writing either by letter or by using the form available at the Transportation Services office at 683 Linden St Riverside, CA 92521. Written correspondence and completed forms may be dropped off or mailed to the same address above.
- By E-mail: You may e-mail your written testimony to firstname.lastname@example.org within 21 days from the date the citation was issued. You must include the following information:
- Citation number
- Vehicle license plate number
- Campus parking permit number, if applicable
- The reason you are contesting the citation
You will be notified if all of the information is not received and your appeal will not proceed without it. All citation review decisions are communicated in writing and sent by U.S. mail or email within 5 business days of the review date. Citation reviews cannot be given or discussed by phone or in person. If you do not receive a written response fifteen days after you submit your request, please contact our office at (951) 827-1296.
If you are dissatisfied with the results of the decision, you may request an administrative hearing (Level 2).
Level 2 - Administrative Hearing
If you are not satisfied with the administrative review (Level 1) decision, you may request an administrative hearing (Level 2). The administrative hearing can be scheduled at the Transportation Services office at 683 Linden St Riverside, CA 92521 or by calling (951) 827-1294. Unlike Level 1, you must pay your citation in full prior to filing for a Level 2 hearing. If your hearing is granted your citation payment will be refunded. Administrative hearings are held in person by an outside agency.
Failure to appear for a hearing will result in the Level 2 decision being upheld and become final. Hearings may be re-scheduled 24 hours before the hearing date and time by contacting Transportation Services at (951) 827-1294.
Hearing dates for 2019 are as follows:
July 19, 2019
August 16, 2019
September 20, 2019
October 18, 2019
November 15, 2019
December 13, 2019
Level 3 - Judicial Appeal
If you are not satisfied with the Level 2 administrative hearing decision, you may further appeal your case through the Western Riverside County Judicial District Moreno Valley Branch, 13800 Heacock Street, Suite D201, Moreno Valley, CA 92553 within thirty calendar days from the date of the mailing of the Level 2 administrative hearing results letter.
If a notice of appeal is not filed with the court within thirty calendar days, the Level 2 administrative review decision will become final.
The court charges a filing fee per citation to process appeals. If the court rules in your favor, you will be issued a refund of your filing fee, plus any parking penalties that the court dismisses.